Zola feels for sacked Rowett

New Birmingham boss Gianfranco Zola admits Gary Rowett did not deserve to be sacked but insists he is not a backstabber, despite declaring his interest in the St Andrew's job weeks ago.

Gianfranco Zola has revealed he was contacted about becoming Birmingham City manager before Gary Rowett was sacked.
Gianfranco Zola has revealed he was contacted about becoming Birmingham City manager before Gary Rowett was sacked.

Zola revealed he was first sounded out by Birmingham's owners shortly after Trillion Trophy Asia (TTA) completed their takeover of the Championship club in October, although the Italian insists that interest was not firmed up until after the Blues' 4-0 defeat at Newcastle last Saturday.

Rowett, widely considered one of the most promising young managers in the __football League, was dismissed just hours after a 2-1 home win over Ipswich which left Birmingham seventh in the table and only outside the play-off places on goal difference.

Popular among Blues fans, who in a poll in a local newspaper voted 83 per cent against the change, Rowett was replaced without explanation from TTA save for a sanitised quote in a statement, with the assumption that this should be good enough for supporters to accept smacking of the utmost arrogance.

No board members accompanied Zola at his media introduction on Thursday afternoon, preferring to keep their heads below the parapet and let the former West Ham and Watford boss face some difficult questions about his appointment alone.

The 50-year-old said he felt sorry for his predecessor and wanted to call Rowett to offer his sympathy, despite taking a fellow manager's job.

Asked if he thought Rowett had been stabbed in the back, Zola replied: ''You shouldn't be asking me this question.

''I'm a professional. I'm a manager that didn't have a position and I've been asked to come over here. I've come with enthusiasm and with all possible good intentions.

''I've been sacked in other jobs and I know how it feels to be in that situation but I didn't blame the man who came after me.

''I feel for my predecessor, he probably didn't deserve it. But we have to stay professional. I have a lot of respect for him, honestly, and I would like to speak to him and extend my sympathy to him.

''I don't remember when they first called to be honest, but I was asked about an interest some time ago - after they came in in October - because obviously the club was looking, and I said it could be interesting. The call came the other day, after the Newcastle game. After that there was nothing else.

''It was not easy because obviously I know the situation, the phone call wasn't an easy one because of the circumstances. The manger was doing well but at the end of the day I am a professional, I thought it was a good opportunity and I accepted the job.

''Probably they had already decided (before the Ipswich game on Tuesday night). Like I say, I was surprised.''

Birmingham's first post on social media on Thursday morning referred to ''a new day, a new dawn''. With the majority of support for Rowett and against Zola it certainly will not help the chances of a new dawn being a bright one, at least not to start with.

Zola's first game in charge will be at home to title-chasing Brighton on Saturday evening in front of the television cameras and the former Chelsea forward said: ''It will be interesting.

''I know I am coming in for a coach who has done excellent but I will do my best to make it the right decision. I will give everything and it is worth giving faith to people who are coming here to work with a good intention.

''It would be harsh if me and my team are not given a possibility to show what we can do here.''

Search