Premier League defender opens up on summer speculation amid Chelsea interest

Keane, Chelsea, Burnley

Michael Keane was the subject of interest from Leicester

The centre-half was the subject of serious interest from Leicester.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche was thought to have turned down numerous offers, including one of £15m from the reigning Premier League champions.

Recent reports have suggested that Chelsea are considering a January swoop.

It is thought Antonio Conte is prepared to spend as much as £25m on the 23-year-old.

Moreover, he is seen as a long-term successor to John Terry.

However, despite Leicester’s interest over the summer, Keane harbours no grudges for a deal not going through.

“It’s flattering when teams like Leicester come in but I am really happy here,” Keane said.

“The fans have been brilliant with me here, as have the manager and players. It’s great when teams like that come in but I am quite happy. 

“I won’t be looking at Leicester in the Champions League thinking: ‘That could have been me’ because I tend to think what will be, will be. 

“Hopefully at some time in the future I will get to that level anyway. Leicester have done brilliantly and I will be supporting them because I was there on loan [in 2012-13] but I’m not disappointed I am not there.”

Related articles

  • Chelsea considering surprise £25m defender bid: Approach already made
  • Chelsea Transfer News: Chelsea could lose star midfielder in £39m deal
  • Midfielder reveals he wants to play for Antonio Conte at Chelsea
Search