Football News England boss Roy Hodgson happy to welcome back Daniel Sturridge

Roy Hodgson insists there is no simmering tension with the Liverpool hierachy as the England manager prepares to recall Daniel Sturridge.

Sky Bet

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Bet £5 Get £20 Free

Friction appeared to mount after the 25-year-old's season was thrown off kilter in September by an injury during a training session with the national team.

As the injury problems mounted Sturridge went to the United States to aid his recovery and, five months after his last Liverpool appearance, made a goalscoring return in a 2-0 win against West Ham on 31 January. He was also on the scoresheet in the 2-1 FA Cup win at Crystal Palace.

The forward is now set to return to the England fold for next month's matches against Lithuania and Italy.

"Of course I am excited to have him back," Hodgson said. "As long as he playing well and playing.

"I haven't had to the pick the team yet or squad yet - I have a few weeks to do that. But, of course, I have always said that Daniel, for me, is a player that I think has the talent we are looking for.

"I am really delighted that he is not suffering from his muscle problems any more and we have the chance to bring him back."

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers initially felt the forward's injury could have been avoided, saying his tailored training programme was ignored by the England coaching staff, but Hodgson believes all the blame can not be laid at his door.

"It was unfortunate that Daniel got injured as he did and we were sad about that, but he has had a few injuries since then and I haven't seen too many people writing about that or has that been put down to our count as well?

"The other three muscle injuries he has picked up since our one, is that due to England and the way we work as well? I don't think so.

"It is just one of those things. It is unfortunate that Daniel has had a period of time where he has been plagued by injuries, but I am pleased he is not that way any more and that he is back playing. I thought he played well the other night (against Tottenham)."

Hodgson penned a four-year deal with the FA in 2012 taking him through to Euro 2016 - a competition England look all-but certain to qualify for having won all four Group E matches to date.

The 67-year-old admits he has not given thought to life beyond that tournament – but the much-respected coach admits he may still be open to a fresh challenge.

He said: "At the moment I feel quite good and I don't feel anything like my age and I hope that will continue for a good few more years to come, so you never know.

"I prefer to let the future take care of itself and have my clearly focused goals. As times go on, we will see what develops from there.

"I must say that it is not something that really occupies me at the moment. I am quite confident that when the day comes, I will know what the right the thing to do is and then I'll do it.

"But I don't want to think about it now because I have got important things to think about, I have got an important job to do that I really enjoy, so 2018 and 2020 we will see."

post from sitemap
Search