Aston Villa News Scott Marshall wants experienced manager to replace Paul Lambert at Aston Villa

Caretaker manager Scott Marshall says Aston Villa need an experienced man to take over from Paul Lambert.

Sky Bet

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Bet £5 Get £20 Free

Marshall was placed in temporary charge following the sacking of Lambert on Wednesday night with the Midlands' club sitting in the relegation zone.

Lambert was sacked after just two wins in 21 league games which left Villa in the relegation zone. Marshall, who worked with Lambert at previous club Norwich before going to Villa Park, will take charge of his first game against Leicester City in the FA Cup.

The former Arsenal defender admits he was sad to see Lambert go and has ruled himself out of the running to take the job due to his lack of experience.

"This is a big club and it's not somewhere for someone to cut their teeth," he said.

"This is a big club and it's not somewhere for someone to cut their teeth"

Aston Villa caretaker manager Scott Marshall

"It's certainly a big club and I would say there's not many things which are going to prepare you for this experience so I think a manager with experience is probably necessary but it's not really my decision or my call.

"He (Lambert) has been really good for me. He brought me in at Norwich and gave me an opportunity there, and brought me here and gave me a great opportunity to work at a great club.

"I'm hugely disappointed that it's not going to continue."

Marshall admits he may yet seek Lambert's advice before the Leicester game. He said: "If I had a conversation and asked him something I'm sure he'd be a positive help.

"You can only explain so much to get advice back but you try and call upon all your experiences before and try to make the best decision going forward. That's what I'm trying to do now. I'm pretty sure we'll have another conversation before the game."

post from sitemap
Search